Smart Tips to Avoid Electrical Fires

Each year, electrical fires in the homes and businesses take the lives of many people in Australia. While some of these electrical fires are caused by defects in appliances, many more are caused by overloaded circuits, incorrectly installed wiring, and misuse of extension cords. Browse products online on electric wholesale

In fact, improper electrical wiring in Australia causes twice as many fires as electrical appliances. While it is always best to have any electrical work done by a licensed and qualified electrician, there are many other ways that you should do around your place to help keep you and your family safe.

Below are some simple steps that can help prevent electrical fires:


Avoid using damaged power cords

The exposed power cord’s wiring is always at high risk to catch fire. Try to avoid this by routinely checking all of your appliances and electrically powered tools, especially where the cord is attached, and carefully look for signs of damaged wiring. Replace immediately if any tool gives off sparks, smoke, or electrical shocks or overheats. In Australia there are plenty online stores and electrical supplies where you can find products.


Unplug appliances which are not in use to avoid potential risks

There is no point of leaving electronics plugged in when you are not using it. This will not only save you from potential fire risks but also save a little on electricity as plugged in appliances consume power even when turned off.


Be careful of the warning signs

To avoid an electrical fire, you need to pay attention to the warning signs that may lead to a possible wiring or electrical problem. If you experience dimming lights, discoloured cords, blown fuses, and tripped circuit breakers then immediately contact a qualified electrician to examine and repair the issue.


Keep electrical appliances and outlets away from water

One of the crucial things to remember in regards to electrical safety is to avoid exposing appliances and electrical outlets to water. Do not plug or unplug electrical appliances or touch electrical outlets if you have wet hands. This will likely cause electrocution and can cause fire and even death.


Confirm whether you are using the correct wattage in all your appliances


Before you plug in any appliance, make sure that you are using the correct wattage. This is because the variation in the wattage could cause short circuits and electrical shocks which can be dangerous. Also, do not overload an electrical socket with too many appliances. Electrical Supplier from Australia’s Favourite Online Electrical Wholesaler

R&V Electrical Contractors in Australia provide professional services for residential, commercial, industrial, and maintenance of electrical needs. Our qualified and licensed electricians will help you to inspect potential fire risk.

Follow appliance instructions for better electrical safety

Many fires that occur each year are because of the electricity mishandling or by not using the right safety measures. Make sure to read the instructions carefully before using any particular appliance. This will not only allow you to safely operate the device but also improve both performance and personal safety. If you experience even a slight electrical shock, avoid using it until you get it checked by a qualified electrician.

We are 24/7 available to solve all your electrical needs – get in touch with us today!

Share this post

Call Now Button